Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Reno Routine

Life has been SO different since moving to NV.  I was used to waking up every morning between 6:00 and 8:00 (depending on if it was a gym day), heading to work and working until 5:00ish, spending time with Aron/family/friends, watching some reality TV, then hitting the hay. and repeat.  As much as I love having a break and being blessed enough to not feel stressed about finding a job... I'm getting a bit restless. 

Here is a typical day right now:

5:30 AM- Aron's alarm goes off (I immediately roll over and go back to sleep)
6:45 AM- Aron heads to work
7:00 AM- I wake up, make bed, have some one-on-one time w/God
7:45 AM- eat breakfast, turn on the Today Show, search online for jobs
8:00-8:30 AM- apply for jobs that match my background ( I should note here that we are living in NV, therefore, we are faced with living in the state that currently has the highest unemployment rate.  Needless to say, finding jobs that would suit me have been rather difficult.)  This is also the time that I occasionally Skype with Britt or mom. 
8:45 AM- put on workout clothes and head to the gym.  I then talk to my only friend, Tammie, our complex housekeeper in between breaths on the treadmill.  :)
10:00-11:00 AM- head back home, shower, get dressed and ready for the day
11:15 AM- plan/create fun things for Dani's shower!!! EEEE... soo excited for this event (being super vague in case she reads this)
12:00 PM- make a turkey sandwich, watch some shows from the DVR (HOW DID I LIVE W/O THIS FOR SO LONG!?), continue scanning ads on Craigslist and other Nevada-specific job sites and email to those that apply.  May I also mention how frustrating it is that MOST ads don't offer a company name, physical address or phone number??  I hate having to follow-up via assigned Craigslist email at the top.  bleh. 
2:00 PM- cabin fever sets in and I usually head to Wal Mart or other stores for which I have gift cards. I've been making some pretty fantastic dinners with our new kitchen gadgets and my new-found free time, therefore, I like to buy groceries every couple of days for fresh ingredients and to experience the goodnesses of "People of Wal Mart" for myself.  Never disappoints.
3:00 PM- phone calls from friends in the east begin since they're getting off work at this time.  I usually talk on the phone with friends or family for a couple of hours in the afternoon.  Thank goodness most of them are "in" the network with me.  ha.
5:00 PM- I begin cooking/experimenting with food for dinner.  Currently, I would be lost without the following:  salad spinner, rice cooker, crockpot, Henckels knives, and our Rachel Ray bubble and brown bakeware!

6:00 PM- Aron gets home from work and we eat the (most of the time) delicious meal! 

Tuesdays and Thursdays are our gym nights together and we're going to start heading to small groups on Monday nights.  We were invited to a women-only and men-only group by a married couple at the church we've been going to (Living Stones) and next week will be the first time we are able to check those out. Aron and I are pretty anxious to get involved and have the chance to spend time with people outside of Sunday church services.  Slowly, but surely, we're getting plugged in...but it's been an adventure to say the least.  I'm so not used to this little social interaction throughout the day and I've been really frustrated with how many doors have shut regarding volunteer and job opportunities.  I know that God has a plan, but I'm being challenged daily to keep that in mind.  The doors to school in the summer have now shut and it's looking the same for fall.  I will spare everyone the nitty gritty details on that revelation.  I pray that He reveals the plan soon because I'm not quite sure how much longer I can go with this "routine".  Aron has been the MOST amazing, supportive, loving husband through my rollercoaster of emotions over the last month and I am so proud of his success here.  He's such a rockstar at work and is doing a wonderful job of checking his work stress at the door when he gets home and concentrating on having a productive and fun evening here at home. 

Well, there you have it.  Some people have asked what I've been up to and I decided to share that with everyone.  I have had some good leads today for jobs and am trying to enjoy the time at home while I have it in the meantime. 


  1. Love the daily 'to dos'. You're a great wife.

  2. I would like to point out that the Magic Bullet is not on your list of things you would be lost without... I don't know why...