Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holiday Traditions and Happenings

Ahhh... the weekend is coming to a close and that makes me OH SO SAD!  We had such an amazing Thanksgiving holiday here in Salt Lake City.

Stop #1- We began our Thanksgiving by packing meals for people in the Phillipines at K2 (our home church: http://www.k2thechurch.com/).  It was so awesome to serve with so many people.  I loved watching some of my sunday school students not wanting to leave in order to keep up with their roles on the assembly line and meet our ultimate goal of 70,000.  I pray daily that we can find a church as refreshing, community-driven and life-giving in Reno.   

Stop #2- From K2, we headed to mom's to eat with her and Nani.  We had a small and traditional meal; it was perfect.  I made individual pumpkin pies for the first time and I think they turned out pretty well.  We then took silly photos and a nap in order to rest up for the rest of our day!
Stop # 3- From mom's, we went over to the Super Casa (aka: Dave and Britt's) for some Hot Buttered Rum and dessert.  Aron made this delicious cold-weather treat for the first time and it was an instant hit.  Dave's family was in from WI and it was so fun to sit down and chat with them for a while...such great people. 

Stop #4- After some quality time at The Rogers' home it was off to "Morning Glory" with the McHappy's (other may know them as The McHenry's).  This was my second time seeing this flick and it was JUST as fun.  I give it 2 thumbs up and plan to purchase the dvd once it's out.  There is a 5 minute portion of the movie that literally makes me laugh until I cry.  Bottom line:  go see it.  We decided that our time in the movie wasn't enough and headed to Denny's (where else at midnight??) for some random food selections.  It's times like those where I'm thankful to be an extrovert who loves to be impulsive.  Some of our best times with friends come in the wee hours of the morning when you don't initially feel like staying up late. 

Friday:  Day of traditions.  This is the first year I didn't do any "Black Friday" shopping in quite some time.  I literally only purchased gasoline...and it was great.  I don't know that I will ever be a crazy-wait-in-line-at-four-in-the-morning-shoppers, ever again.  We began the day by purchasing our Christmas Tree with mom!  She's a beaut.


Aron then took me for a surprise at Foothill Village!  We went and got a couples massage the The Spa Club!  It was so amazing to take a breather in the middle of a busy and get some time... just the two of us.  He's amazing and so much more thoughtful than I give him credit for.  After our amazing rub downs, we met up with mom and her friend for leftovers (HUGE tradition- not the day after Thanksgiving without repeating your meal) and went to see THE ROCKETTES perform!
While the show was a bit more kid-friendly than I thought, it was great to see such amazing, legendary, talented people perform. 
Once home, it was time for Christmas music, spiced rum and tree decorating! 

Not knowing what the future holds for holidays as a married couple, it was wonderful to have one more traditional Thanksgiving with my family. 

We went on to do even more fabulously fun things this weekend, but I'll save that for another post.  This one is already quite lengthy.  I'm so glad that I started to blog.  I don't journal so this will be a wonderful way to look back on the things I've been blessed enough to see, do, experience, taste, touch, and hear.

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun weekend! I love the tree. Also, I'm so glad you started a blog too!!

    ReplyDelete